Next dumb question re: ignition coils

To: datsun <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Next dumb question re: ignition coils
From: "ambradley@frontiernet.net" <ambradley@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:43:34 +0000
I tested the ohm rating of my coils - all four of them on a car or lying
around.  My PL411 (no ballast resistor) and a spare came out around 3.5
ohms, my SPL311 came out at .5 with a 1.6 ohm ballast resistor reading
(do you add ohms together, and does the .5 reading mean my coil is
dying or incorrect for my car?), and another spare coil read 1.5 ohms.

Back to Pertronix's website, they recommend 3.0 ohms as "city" use for 4
cyl, and a 1.5 ohm coil for "racing" use with their Ignitor ignition
systems.  They list 1.5 ohms for both city and race for an 8 cylinder
car.  Why the difference in ohms?  What would happen if I used a 1.5
ohm coil on a "city" car?