5 spd tranny, backyard mechanic inspection possible??

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 5 spd tranny, backyard mechanic inspection possible??
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:24:02 +0000
Dear List:
You may remember my trials and tribulations with my 5spd, and my road trip
story
of how I went on a 600 mile, one day, 5 state adventure and came home with
3 spare 5spds, some of which might work OK.

Question is:  is there a way to open up one of these and inspect the guts,
and then bolt
it back together, without having important parts fall out all over the
place?  I am pretty
sure I can tell if synchro rings, bearings, and gears are going to be OK,
and I will do this,
but if its going to fall into a pile of parts, I will pay money to have the
trannies checked out
by a shop.

The one in the car now probably suffered the main nut got loose problem but
it has all
new bearings and synchros, so I figure I can have it repaired at my leisure
(ie, when I have money
and time)...and in the meantime if one of the spares is usable, I will just
bolt it up and
continue on my merry way!

TIA for any advice, wry comments, etc!
Jim
Chesapeake Virginia
67 pushrod 2L 5spd
72 510 Sportwagon Project
85 Ragtop Rabbit
and other less interesting vehicles

Stay informed on Election 2004 and the race to Super Tuesday.
http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx