RE: 2000 timing chain replacement

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 2000 timing chain replacement
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:03:20 -0800
Sure, but it's a pain. In the end, you may wish you had pulled the engine
and done the job on an engine stand. I think the biggest problems are these:

First is getting the big bolt off the front of the crank. It can be done
fairly easily if you have a big impact wrench and an air compressor. If not,
there are some dirty tricks you can pull to get it off. But then you still
have to get it back on in the end and torqued to 140-150 lb/ft

Plenty of people try to remove the front cover without removing the head. A
lot of the time this results in a leak around the top of the front cover.
I'd rather be safe and pull the head. That's inconvenient to do with the
engine in the car, but not impossible. Your call.