O/T - VW Microbus FS in Portland, Oregon

To: "Roadsters E-Mail List" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: O/T - VW Microbus FS in Portland, Oregon
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:03:54 -0800
On a similar O/T note to Russ's request for help looking at a VW bus,
I see a 60's vintage VW Microbus for sale near my home in Portland,
Oregon. I have not stopped and looked at it closely, but I can see a
lot of rust along the rocker panels on the left side. All of the small
windows along the sides of the top, and the other side glass looks
good. If anyone is interested I can stop and ask questions/photograph.

Datsun content:

I am trying to put Mr. Hyde away for the winter, but the weather won't
cooperate. The fuel tank however is cooperating by running out of
gas... I have started removing the pins on the door limit straps in
preparation for removing doors and fenders to go after minor rust
issues. New fenders are in the plan, and I have posted pictures on my
web site of the flared fenders planned to replace the rusted fenders
now on the car. I am also looking at possibly replacing the left door
with my parts car door. I will check both closely and see which is
better. My door is bondo free and all loose inside. It will require a
bit of welding. The parts car door seems to be bondo free and solid.
If it is good I may use it instead.

I am also looking at a warped rear panel on my car. At this point I am
considering cutting out the entire rear panel between the tail lights
and replacing it with one from my parts car (inspiration gained from
Andrew's restoration pictures). I will probably be asking the list for
advice or other suggestions before I actually do this. First I will
weld new metal into the small rust areas to gain confidence before I
tackle a major replacement like this.

Tom
69 2000 "Mr. Hyde"
Portland, Oregon