Re: Rims

To: Roadster Forum <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rims
From: Bill Engelhardt <bengelhardt@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:38:16 -0700
I just went through this.

I started with http://www.311s.org/tech/wheels/wheels.html (as someone has
already suggested.)

I wanted to go with a 15" wheel too but I had trouble finding a set with the
right backspacing (and I'm not a big fan of the 280ZX "swastika" wheels).  I
also had serious doubts that I'd be able to get 205/50/15s to fit under the
fenders.

In the end I wound up scoring a set of used Enkei's at a junk yard.  They
came off of a 1973 240Z.  They are 14x6 with roughly 4" of backspacing.  I
put a set of 195/60/14 Yokohama AVS ES100s on them and they fit perfectly on
my stock height '70 without having to roll any fender lips.

In order to determine which tires would fit, I got exact measurements for
the tires, made cardboard cutouts of the tire profiles, mounted the wheels
on the car (with no tires on them) and used the cutout to check clearances.

I've got pics of the final result if you want to see what they look like.

   Bill