Re: air compressors

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: air compressors
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:13:55 -0500
>Daniel Neuman

> Here's what's up..The first one we got just stopped working, the second one
> does not regulate the air in the tank to 175psi, it stops at 145psi
> according to the gauge.  Now chemistry was a while ago but I do know that
> PV=nKT.  Right now the compressor has a hard time keeping up with our air
> tools.  Most of the tools we have (ratchet, impact driver, air hammer) run
> at 90 psi.  The compressor can not keep up.  Irene was hammering out the old
> mortar on our stairs and kept having to stop and wait for the air compressor
> to reload.
> Here's the question, I am going to return this compressor for a
> correctly working unit.  Should the new unit be able to keep up with the
> tools or should I step up to the next bigger unit.  The big daddy 60 gal
> 240V 2 stage 175psi model?  It's about a hundred bucks more and is not
> portable.

Daniel,

There are actually two measurements to consider when evaluating a
compressor. In addition to the pressure (PSI) that you've already mentioned
you need a compressor that will provide as least the minimum volume of air,
expressed as cubic feet/minute (CFM), for the tools you're using, and air
tools like dye grinders require very high air volumes. I have a mid sized
portable that produces plenty of pressure but need frequent "rests" to keep
up with my dye grinder.

Check out sites like TPtools.com and read through the specs of the
compressors they offer. You'll see that they're all rated X number of CFM at
a given pressure. I'd also suggest requesting a catalog from T-P. The
contain great info on why and how to properly set up an air distribution
system.

HTH,
Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@hot.rr.com
Ronnie_day@acd.org
Temple, TX
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)