compression test results.

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: compression test results.
From: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@RadOnc17.UCSF.Edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:02:06 -0700
Hello All,
        I did a dry/wet compression test of Irene's Jag the other day and am
not sure what to make of the numbers.
Here's what's wrong with the car.  Engine blows a good amount of smoke when
you gun it but usually only then.  There is often times a small bit of smoke
when starting.
I compression tested all 8 cylinders and most of them were 155psi dry one
was a bit lower at 140psi and one was a bit higher at like 170psi.  I then
put about 20ml of engine oil in each cylinder right before compression
testing it.  The pressure went up about 30ish psi across the board except
one cylinder that did not change that much.
I am thinking that the dang rings are going bad?  She was told that the
valve stem seals needed to be replaced also.  I just changed out the plugs
and they were all pretty oil fouled with one being so fouled (#2 cylinder)
that it was no longer firing.
So what do y'all think? Engine dead ready for a rebuild?
        Thanks,
                Daniel Neuman
                Oakland CA
                69 2000