progress on the '68 rat

To: Datsun Roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: progress on the '68 rat
From: Leigh Brooks <shifty@shiftco.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:12:05 -0700
After seeing Mark's amazing work on his chevy-powered rat, I was
inspired to get some more work done on my '68 rat-dat.

Got the engine put in place:

http://www.shiftco.com/datsun/engine.jpg

Dropped the oil pan and things look good on the bottom end.

http://www.shiftco.com/datsun/bottom_end.jpg

Motor mounts and tranny mount are in place - but nothing else. What is
the minimum I need  to hook up to do a compression test? I have a
remote starter switch. Don't need to have any ignition, just enough to
bump the motor over. I figure I have to fill the engine with oil - any
time spent turning over should be lubricated. Do I need to fill up the
tranny with the appropriate fluid as well?

Also got crazy and began to think about one of the most-asked questions
on the roadster list: Will a flat dash fit in a high-window car?

http://www.shiftco.com/datsun/dash.jpg

Is the base of the window similar in shape between high and low-window
cars? Will a flat dash cover fit decently next to the high window?
Seems like the steering column is higher (at a steeper angle) in the
later cars. Some sort of mounting bracket would have to be devised. A
body-colored dash would look pretty nice!

Leigh Brooks
Seattle