adding freon, for the driveway mechanic: was O/T AC

To: datsun_sports@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: adding freon, for the driveway mechanic: was O/T AC
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:07:57 +0000
The low pressure side will be cool when the ac is on.  The hi pressure side
will be warm.
The cool side will most likly have a thicker pipe also.   You must add the
freon to the low
pressure side, so it will get sucked out of the can.  A good driveway
mechanic thing to check level
is to roll down all the windows on a warm or hot day and let the car run
with the AC on.  If the
air coming out is not cold, obviously you have a problem.  But, more
telling, is if the compressor cycles
off and on, you have either too much or not enough freon.  If no one has
added any lately, then you
dont have enough.  Just add one can.  Do NOT turn the can upside down, this
will put liquid freon into the system, and really bad things could happen.

As its getting sucked in, the compressor should run longer,
and the air should get colder.  Too much freon will cause the compressor to
cycle off on most systems
also, and possibly for the compressor relief valve to lift, or for the
compressor to blow up due to liquid
refrigerent getting into it.  Too much freon is BAD.  This is not a case of
"if some is good, too much is just enough".  Avoid putting in additives,
like super cool crap.  They interfere with the oils ability to do its job,
and will shorten system life.  Hope this helps!
Jim
Chesapeake
Virginia

http://msnmessenger-download.com