Advice

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Advice
From: Grant Goodall <goodalg@cc.wwu.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:19:11 -0700 (PDT)
Hello List,

My name is Grant Goodall and I have been reading list entries for about a
year now.  This was sparked by my purchase of a beatup 67.5 2000 Solex
from a friend who had it sitting on his farm for about 20 years with no
top or cover (the interior is just about non-existant).  I am currently a
Sr. at Western Washington University in Bellingham Washington.  I have
been working on the car in my spare time over the last year or so and I am
really close to taking it for its first test drive!  I bought the car as a
way for me to learn about cars,  but the project has become a lot more
than that.  Now that you know who I am I would like to ask for some
advice!

The main thing I need to do before I take her for a drive is to either
replace the brake pistons/clyinders or do the volvo brake conversion.  I
am wondering if anyone has strong opinions on either idea.  Will the Volvo
brakes greatly improve braking performance?  Do they change my options
wheel/tire wise?  Are there any downsides to the Volvo brakes.  It looks
like either way I go I will end up spending about the same amount.  Which
leads into my next question.

>From sitting 20 years in the mud you could guess the tires and rims are
not in the best condition.  I would like to install a sporty/wider
rim/tire combo with a high performance tire.  Does anyone have
suggestions.  I don't know much about what all I can install, nor am I
familiar with what other people have been using. (I am not a huge fan of
the panasport style)

Thats all for now,  but expect to hear more from me in the future!!!  This
list has already been a great resource for me in my early stages of
restoration.

-Grant