Grand Prix of Texas

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Grand Prix of Texas
From: Andy Cost <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 07:09:10 -0500 (CDT)
The Grand Prix of Texas is this weekend.  I will be autocrossing on Saturday
and Sunday in Heat #2.  That should put me on the track around 10:00 am.  The
autocross will be held in the parking lot of Texas Motor Speedway.  Come on out
and watch.  There will be roadracing going on inside and I think it is only $10
to watch the roadracing.  http://www.scca-gpt.com/

I won the first two autocrosses on my new motor this year. I beat an MGB and a
Fiat Spider 128.  I was upset that the motor didn't seem to have the horsepower
that the old one did.  This new motor is 12.5 to 1 compression verses the 9.5
to 1 on the old motor.  I found that the cam was off by one tooth.  It was
amazing that the car ran at all and even more amazing that I could beat
someone.  After fixing the cam timing it was like I had hit the nitrous button.
 It felt like I easily gained 100 horsepower.  Now the Crane HI-6 ignition pegs
the rev limiter at 7500 faster than I can react.  In first gear the motor revs
to the limiter just as fast as if it were in neutral.  It can generate smokey
wheelspin in first and second on the 11.5 inch wide Goodyear slicks.

I replaced the homemade delrin swaybar bushings with some polyurethane ones.  I
also loosened the carrera front shocks from full hard to medium.  This solved
some nasty understeer problems.  I think the swaybar bushings were binding up.
The car is handling and running really well now.  We'll see how it does this
weekend.

Hope to see you there,

Andy