Re: '64 1600 is running...sort of

To: "The Hoovers" <audela2@cox.net>,
Subject: Re: '64 1600 is running...sort of
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 09:09:35 -0500
It's easy to convert your dizzy to pre-smog but it'll have to come out of
the car. Just swap the cam, springs and weights (although I have weighed
smog and non-smog weights and found no difference). The springs however are
different.

I too, have had problems getting my old stock 1600 to idle smoothly at 700
rpms. I was able to do it but preferred a slighly higher idle speed for a
variety of reasons including having more alt output when my electric fan
went on which dropped my idle speed a bit.

I can't get my stroker to idle anywhere close to 700 and it likes to idle at
about 1100 with the cam I have installed.

It takes patience to install the dizzy correctly. One tooth off wouldn't
allow the alignment of the rotor to the correct #1 position when the engine
is at TDC in my experience but I have been wrong before.

Mike