Wiper motor troubleshooting, first steps and a question, and

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wiper motor troubleshooting, first steps and a question, and
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:20:00 -0500
For all:
Some may have read my post of earlier this week
regarding autocrossing followed by sudden loss
of wipers (in the rain, of course).

First I disconnected the battery.
Then, I was able to pull out the switch, and test it
for continuity, and there is nothing wrong with it.
I think the wipers started working with the switch
on "off" because the switch was upside down, or
the wires were wrong. (there are 4 places to put
wires on the back of the switch, and only 3 wires
that go there).

Next I took a jumper from the plus side of the battery
and touched it to the 3 switch wires.  The wire that
is probably the positive into the switch did nothing,
as expected.  The other two caused a big spark for
one, and a little spark from the other one.  This tells
me that the motor is shorted, or jammed.  The small
spark/big spark probably correspond to slow and fast
speed. Zero motor movement, just a great sucking up
of electrical current.....

The question is, if anyone has a known good motor,
handy, and a volt/ohm meter, could they tell me the resistance
of the slow and fast speed windings?  TIA!
I predict my motor has much lower resistance readings....

The 510 wiper motor swap looks like it might work.  The roadster
motor is square, and the partswagon motor is round, but
they both drive a gearbox that looks the same, and they
both have electrical hookup plugs that look alike, with
5 wires going to them.  I will let the list know more about
this soon! (yea, the switch only has 3, I think the extra two
on the plug have something to do with a circuit that parks the blades
when you turn off the wipers.)

I do not look forward to removing the center
console to get at this thing, I spent a great deal of
effort making a Sony AM/FM CD fit into the radio space,
and also re-manufacture all the HVAC cables and stuff,
and hope it dosnt all have to come apart.

Best Regards,
JimGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com