Auto-X in the Rain, and so long windshield wipers.....

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Auto-X in the Rain, and so long windshield wipers.....
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:55:22 -0500
For all:
Had a great AUTO-X over at Little Creek Navy Base,
in the LCAC ramp area.  Acres and acres of smooth
concrete.  Rain is a great equalizer sometimes, my
CSP (street tires) pushrod 2L did quite well, only around
5 seconds away from FTD, which was a heavily modified
Subie WRX.  Factor in the PAX fudge factor for street tires
and it will probably be around 2 seconds off that....I was
faster than whole bunches of cars, including a few
Miatas (hehe).  The Falken Azinas are much better in the
wet than I thought they would be, especially amazed at
the stopping power.
Great way to get a real feel about how and when understeer
and oversteer happen, and I took my 16 year old daughter
around for two of my runs, they dont teach emergency
maneuvers in drivers ed!  She thought it was great, may
want to learn how to drive a stick now.....

AND THEN there is the sad wiper story:
The windshield wipers have been acting a little slow for
some time now, and in fact only run on slow speed, fast speed
just dosnt work.  On the way home, I turned them off
for a red light (to save their remaining life), and
wonder of wonders they began slapping back and
forth with great gusto, on what must be fast speed.

(the speed that, until now, I have never seen them
run)

What luck, I'm thinking...I will just leave them in
fast, and figure out how to turn them off when I
get home....this plan worked for about half way home,
when they stopped suddenly.  When I got home
I checked the easy stuff....nope, not the fuse....
So, obviously there is something wrong with the
switch, but I have a bad feeling the motor has
gone South also...I happen to have a spare
510 wagon in the driveway, so first thing is to
see if the wiper motors are the same, I will
also be looking for an early 67 wiper switch.
Might be same as fan switch, I suppose.

I will let the list know if there is any way to make the
wiper motor swap.

Good thing I have the silly adreniline auto-X grin
going, or I would have been upset about the
wipers....

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake Va
67 pushrod 2L 5spd
72 510 sportwagon
71 510 partswagonGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com