Turning bad into good

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Turning bad into good
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:16:00 -0800
Hello All,

For those of you wondering about the fire sales I had today for my U20
parts- I have to confess that it was brought on by necessity and a lack of
planning on my part. For those looking to restore a car, here are some
things to remember:

When buying your pistons, just guessing as to the size does not work. You
can't eyeball it either.

When the contractor quotes you the amount of time needed to perform a repair
on a part, compare it with the price of replacement. Low amount wins.

When offering your excess parts for sale, sell them according to what you
need to purchase, not for what you think they are worth. I sold off some
good parts to people today for a great price. The parts are sold and I am
able to offset a VERY expensive part purchase. It's not about making money
on the part. It's about getting what you need for the restoration. I am not
a vendor. I do not need to make money on parts. Keep your eye on the ball.
The goal is to restore the car.

So why the big rush to sell off the parts? Well, whenever I get a call on my
cell phone and I see Ross's phone number listed I get nervous. Don't get me
wrong. Ross is a wealth of knowledge and goes out of his way to keep me
informed. He is the messenger, not the cause of any problems. He called me
today and told me my side molding was in need of help. So I bit the bullet
and purchased a NOS 67.5-60 side molding set. It was expensive but what the
hell. Needless to day I started the fire sale to help offset the cost of the
molding.

As I go through this, I am more and more convinced that if I worry about how
much something costs (within reason) then I should not be restoring the car.

Lessons learned on the restoration road,

Andrew Murphy
SoCalROC