Engine ready for machine shop

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine ready for machine shop
From: John Hogan <mad@madgrizzle.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:33:33 -0400
With a little nudge from a fellow enthusiast and some really nice weather
(finally), I have managed to completely disassemble the engine of my
2000.  I plan to ship my head out to one of the California experts,
however, my next step, is to take all the block's bits to a machine shop
.  I've never used a machine shop before so I'm a bit ignorant of what goes
on.  Any recommendations on how to find a good machine shop?  I don't mind
driving the parts to anywhere in the southeast (I live in Tallahassee, FL)
if someone knows a great machine shop (I have a new car and really love to
drive the thing).

When I find a good shop, this is my list as to what I will ask them to do:

1)  Magnaflux all the parts.  I assume you can magnaflux just about anything.
2)  Check all dimensions (cylinders, block, jackshaft, crankshaft, etc.)  I
will provide them the dimensions (will have to dig them up)
3)  Repair any problems with the dimensions (bore, hone, plane)
4)  Balance crankshaft, pistons and rods, jackshaft

Anything else I should consider?  Again, I'm a newb at this.  Thanks for
any help.

John

John Hogan
1967.5 Datsun 2000 "Solex" SRL311-141