who I am....

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: who I am....
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:13:52 -0700
Okay, I guess I'll kick in, and try to be brief. (yah, right)
I'm Fergus Patrick O'Farrell, and as you can tell, of Italian descent. (just
kidding, no offense to Italians) Father was fresh off the Queen Mary with
mother 6 months behind him is more like it.   I am 37 and have been married
for 1-1/2 years to a very patient Irish lassie who had no idea of the extent
of this car-addiction thing when she married me.  My mechanical skills come
from the self-taught (Muir's Idiot Book) air-cooled VW camp, and are best
kept to Remove and Replace, as my struggles and questions have resoundingly
proven.  I live in Huntington Beach and being of hardy Irish stock, (and
being of a height outside the Japanese design envelope) never put the top up
on the car unless it is raining, and even then it better be hard; or unless
directed by the passenger, and only then after lengthy discussion.   I
over-work as an aerospace engineer for a composite manufacturing company,
70/30% commercial-to-gov't work ratio, mostly hi-temperature applications.
(500-3500F)  I also teach technician level fiberglass/composite fabrication
classes on a part-time basis at a local junior college, mostly to industry
shop floor types who want to upgrade/freshen skills.  (or make a canoe
/kayak /snowboard /windshield /jewelry /valve cover /prosthetic foot) I
quietly retreated from teaching sailing classes (but am still conscripted
into boat repairs) in order to support my roadster habit.  I bought a 69 SRL
on St. Patricks Day 2000 to reduce mileage accumulation on my commuter car
(now there's rationalization), and am irreverently non-stock piecing it back
together (Honda seats, homemade windshield surrounds) to achieve the
maximum-smiles-within-the-equipment-budget factor.  I really enjoy teaching
folks the tricks to make their parts turn out well, while my own really suck
because I stretch myself so thin devoting time to helping so many others
make pretty parts, as those in the local area can judge for themselves this
weekend at Turfside.  I am currently waffling over a KA24 or VG30 swap, and
whether that should happen in my current or another roadster.
And am also waffling over a complete fiberglass tilt front end, ala Triumph
Spitfire/Herald.
So other than the fact that I have an annoying habit of including
parentheses in nearly every sentence written, and the fact that catholic
school taught me to be WAY TOO COMFORTABLE writing at length, I have greatly
enjoyed and benefitted from all the discussion, help, and parts from the
list members, near and far.  Fergus O, 69 2000, HB, CA
PS: great story of Andrew's affliction, Victor!