255 cam

To: andycost@att.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 255 cam
From: Dat2000srl@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:55:23 EDT
Andy, this is off the list, I am in the process of tearing down the engine
U20, and looking at the cam, I see, JAPAN,  and 255, cast in the cam itself.
Is this in fact a non factory cam, and as a thread on the list earlier
indicated a solex 2 cam. If so that would be quite odd, It is in an east
coast 69 2000, that certianly did have work done by PO's, but it was equipped
with SU carbs when I bought it in 95. It is the only Datsun Roadster I have
ever driven, and I was very suprised at the power the car had. However, I
assumed that they all came that way. I smile as I think of the day I said to
myself, 'let's see what this baby can do'. I did an incredable burnout in
first, shifted into 2nd at around the 7500 make, with a scream from the tires
launched that baby to 80-85 in second, engine screaming to the 7500 mark, I
shift to 3rd and the wheels answered back with a breif but auditable
reeeeepPP. As I was heading past 100 mph, I realized all this activity was
prohably not legal, and backed off. That was with SU carbs that I had just
finished turning. It is very quick, But I was sure thats what a 2000 is like.
Who could ask for anything more.
Larry Coughlin
Baltimore