Re: Wiring Harness fabrication/ modification

To: snyler <mtyler@hctc.net>
Subject: Re: Wiring Harness fabrication/ modification
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 15:36:24 -0700
If you go to an electronics supply house you can find a good selection of
Molex connectors ranging from 1 connection to almost 20 or more.  If you it
is a really good electronics parts house they may even have higher quality
connectors that are resistant to moisture and other problems.

After seeing how easy the connectors on the aging harnesses we have crumble
it has occurred to me that I will find myself at an electronics parts counter
driving some poor soul crazy as I search for the connectors to repair my
harness.  I will try to opt for the higher quality connectors, but a future
owner may have some very kind words for me when he gets to the point you are
now as he tries to figure out what the *@.%$ I did to him.

The big problem I see here is the crimp.  As some people have pointed out,
the original harness has spot welded connections that are crimped
afterwards.  If you just crimp you just crimp the wires you will eventually
be dealing with a real corrosion mess that will seem never ending.  Some
connectors have moisture seals, but the crimpers to make their good quality
and reliable connections will be quite expensive.

Tom
69 2000
Portland, Oregon