Re: Victor Goes Toyota?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Victor Goes Toyota?
From: "Andy Cost" <andycost@att.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:26:59 -0500
I've had two MR2's.  The 85 model had a 4age and really liked to scream.
The rev limiter was set at 7550 and saved me countless times from reving it
till only dogs could hear the exhaust note.  The 89 model had a 4agz motor
with a supercharger.  It was more sluggish probably because of different cam
profile.  The 85 4age was rated at 113hp and the 89 supercharged motor was
140hp.  The 89 motor can be tweaked to around 170hp with just minor
modifications and over 250 with the full formula atlantic treatment.  The 89
supercharged motor could get 250hp just from changing the crank pulley.
That increased the boost from 8psi stock to about 17psi.  I've heard of
350hp from the supercharged motor, but they are basically time bombs.  The
neatest thing about the 4age family of engines is that they are about 220lbs
completely assembled including the intake manifold and accessories.  I
purchased a parts car and was able to lift the motor off the ground and put
it in my radio flyer wagon.  I currently have the entire dual runner fuel
injection from an 85 car and will someday install it on a U20.

Andy