Re: Float Bowl Level Question

To: tom@fransfancies.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Float Bowl Level Question
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 02:18:15 EDT
Tom,

       Sounds like your air flow is way out of sync. I've got a pair here in
front of me and I'll try to step though it. In a fairly large nut shell, here
it is.

       First. On the shaft that the throttle cable hooks to there is an
adjustment screw. This is not the idle speed screw. It is a "service" screw
and we will get to it later. For now back it way off so that it is not
touching anything. Also make sure there is some slack in the throttle cable.

       Second. Make sure that both throttle return springs are in place. If
you pull on the throttle cable the center shaft between the carbs should move
a little before either carb throttle shaft moves.

       Third. Just under and forward of the manifold stud on the return
spring sides of the carbs is the idle adjustment screws. One per carb. If you
put your finger on the return spring lever and push down, then back off the
idle screw till the lever stops moving, then screw it back in till you feel
the lever move and then about two more turns. Do this to both carbs. This
will roughly set the idle balance.

       Fourth. Using the unisyn check the air flow through both carbs. If the
idle speed is too high then back off the idle screw on the carb with the most
flow. If to slow tighten the idle screw on the carb with the least flow. You
want them to flow the same with a reasonable idle speed.

       Fifth. Remenber the service screw that was backed out? Now tighten it
till the engine speed raises to 2000 rpm. Use the unisyn to measure the air
flows. The screw below the service screw on the rear carb linkage is used to
balance the high speed air flow.

       Sixth. When the high speed is balanced, back off the service screw
untill it no longer touches. The only use for that screw is to raise the
engine speed to set the high speed air balance. Double check the low speed
air flow balance.

       Seventh. At this point the high and low speed air flow should be
balanced and the service screw should be backed off. Now it is mixture time.
Carefully lift one of the slides being sure to stay out of the air flow. I
catch the bottom of the slide with a finger nail, a hook made out of a paper
clip would work also, just don't loose it into the engine. If the engine
speeds up when you lift the slide the mixture is too rich and the adjustment
on the bottom needs to be turned up, ccw from the top. With a little practice
you can push the slide down some. If you push it down and the engine speeds
up you are too lean. The adjustment needs to go down, cw from the top. Do
this with both carbs.

       Eighth. At this point you may need to readjust the idle speed. Using
the unisyn to keep the low speed flow in balance, adjust the idle screws on
each carb to lower the idle speed . The high speed balance will not be
affected by this. At this point if you lift either carb slide the engine
speed should slow down as the engine runs on two cylinders. Raising the slide
all the way causes the mixture to go to dead lean, all air and no gas.

       I tried to be brief but I think I covered it all. If anyone has
anything else to add please feel free to do so.

                                                 keith williams