5 Spd: shifter plate and speedo cable

To: datsunmike@nyc.rr.com, james.m.koken@gte.net, windsurfer@mindspring.com,
Subject: 5 Spd: shifter plate and speedo cable
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 18:49:22 +0000
Some cheaper and perfectly workable solutions are
to just drill a big ol hole in the tranny tunnel
for the speedo cable.  I did this, and have thin
rubber with a big X cut in it screwed with sheet
metal screws to the tunnel....this way most of the
water and dirt stays out, and the cable can
move around a bit with the movement of the
tranny relative to the car, the speedo cable
can run right under the carpet, and then up behind the console

You can make a shifter plate "insert" that lays
right over the stock piece.  I used some
1/16 inch stainless steel.  You have to butcher
up the stock piece, then cut same size hole
as the original in the stainless. Make it so it
lays right inside the little ridges on the stock piece
and fasten the whole thing down with the stock
screw locations, just buy slightly longer screws

I used the DA sander on the stainless when done,
cool brushed look.

I have pics of this job, if anyone wants to
see, E-mail me sepcor.

This in no way subtracts from Stans part,
hes a great guy, and his shifter plate
(from what I hear) looks great when done.

Best Regards,
Jim Cawrse
Chesapeake Va

67 pushrod 2L 5spd