seatbelt mounting points, roadster siting in LB

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: seatbelt mounting points, roadster siting in LB
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 08:07:35 -0700
Pat,
don't try to move the seatbelt mounts.  among other things, insurance
companies get very hands-offish with a claim if they find you have done
anything along these lines.  actually this is for good reason.  If the
factory made a solid mounting point for the bolt-in, continue to use it, but
you can make the belts re-route to a lower location by using mountain
climbing carabiners (cause they are nicely rounded/curved) and either a wire
rope loop or clipped around a seat frame section half way up the seat frame.
This will continue to load the original mount in shear and the carabiner in
tension, and they are rated for much greater than the seatbelt bolts, plus
now you can get them in hip & trendy colors!  all that everyone has said is
right, the hips are the pivot point and you want to have the belt there, not
above the hipbones.  going so low that you are strapping the legs down would
work, but I am not so sure if clutchwork would be that easy.  I just
finalized the 4-pt harnesses in my car, like them alot, but now I find I
can't get the garage door opener out of the glove box unless I unstrap off
one shoulder!
okay, got way off topic there, Fergus O, 69 2000, HB, CA
Siting yesterday: I was down in the Long Beach Marina yesterday and saw a
sweet, bright red 69 2000, very clean, brand new softtop, kidney bean mags,
low back seats.  forgot to leave a note, not a car I've seen before.  anyone
on the list?