In over my head...I admit it.

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: In over my head...I admit it.
From: "Mark Coffin" <coffinm@mail.ecu.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 17:30:53 -0400
Hi all,

Well, I've finally come to the realization that I'm in over my head on my
Datsun 2000 roadster restoration.  Short version: in 1995 I purchased a 1968
2000, SRL311-04425 from Ron Hamilton in Mesa, AZ.  The car is very sound
mechanically and structurally, and ran well when I bought it.  Foolish me, I
decided that I'd do a frame off restoration.  The problem is that I'm a very
active SCCA racer (not with a roadster) and don't really have the time to do
both.  Since I started the Roadster restoration I've built and raced THREE
different SCCA VW Sciroccos (yeah, maybe I should restore a Scirocco). BUT I
love Roadsters and really would like one to drive.

The problem is that I'm only halfway there after 7 years.  Here's what I've
done so far:

Removed body and stripped down to bare chassis.  The chassis was taken to
Airborn Coatings in CT, where it was blasted and powdercoated, along with the
rear axle housing, front springs, in a smoke gray color.  It is impressive, if
I must say so myself.

The entire running gear was cleaned/rebuilt from stem to stern with new
bearings, bushings, seals, gaskets, brake lines, etc., etc.  I disassembled
the steering box, replaced all the seals, glass beaded it, painted it, etc.
All the steering ends were rebuilt along with the idler box.  All front
suspension bushings were replaced with new ones, new grease seals installed,
new KYB shocks, front wheel bearings, new calipers, etc., etc.  The rear
suspension springs were disassembled, painted, and reassembled with custom
made teflon buttons between the leafs, new rear wheel cylinders, brake lines,
seals, new KYB shocks etc.  It's ready for the body to be reinstalled onto it.
In fact, the body is sitting on it temporarily.

The engine was rebuilt by Ron before I purchased the car, and he redid the
entire top end (cylinder head, timing chain, valves, etc.) and I'm sure Ron
can provide details on the work done.  I did clean and paint the block Nissan
blue before I reassembled it and installed it in the chassis.  I have a
ceramic coated header from Jim Tyler for it.  I also installed a new water
pump on it.

The body is currently stripped bare, and has had the undercoating recoated
(after stripping the old off).  The paint has been stripped, and that's where
I am.  I have a body "dolly" for it to sit one while being worked on and
painted, and is available if you want it.

All the pieces are there (it was a perfectly good running car when I started),
I just am overwhelmed with what's left to do.  Obviously I underestimate the
work necessary to do a complete restoration, it's much more than building race
cars!  And not having a Roadster resource nearby makes it hard.  (I live in
eastern NC).

So, I am offering the car to anyone interested in restoring a 2000.  I've
already said what's been done, and the chassis is first class.  The body is
almost ready for the body work (no rust but some dings from the previous
owner).  The car's chrome is not particularly good and certainly would need to
be redone to bring it up to the standards of the restoration so far.  The
interior is original, so it could stand some improvement.

If you're interested, I'll be happy to scan in pictures and send them.  I'm
not sure what $$$ figure is appropriate, but I would be especially interested
in trading for a decent running Roadster (1600 or 2000) that I promise I won't
take apart!!  I have all the receipts for the car and the parts/work done so
far (well over $5000).

Thanks,

Mark Coffin