Thanx for tips

To: "'Roadsters (E-mail)'" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thanx for tips
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 20:41:35 -0700
You guys are great!!

My first real problem was getting the piston out of the clutch slave
cylinder.  I don't know who, DatsunMike I think, suggested using a torch
with careful heat distribution to melt the cylinder out.  Well I ran out
of propane before the aluminum melted, but the rubber was all gone and
the escaping gasses would not support a flame anymore.  I tried a metal
air gun and blew a lot of soot out of one of the two holes and the
piston out of the cylinder.  I never did fine the piston.  The cylinder
was clean and read for a very light pass of 1000 grit emery cloth and it
is now ready to go.

The second was the starter.  I read up on Fred's adventures with his
starter and played with mine for a while.  The motor would not even run
when I started, and one of the solenoid contacts had built up so much
copper on it that there was very little contact surface.  I filed the
contact back to the correct thickness and played with rotating the motor
until it would run when battery was applied.  Now all I have to do is
figure out how to get that big thing through the very small hole.

Last (so far) was the fuel pipes on the SU carburetors.  I about died
when I saw the price of those pre-formed hoses.  Then Sid and Erik
suggested a yellow hose used on weed eaters.  I went down the street to
the lawn mower repair shop and hand the man one of the fuel pipes and
asked for something that size and very flexible for use with gasoline.
He brought me back a foot of yellow hose, and it only cost $1.19 for 1'.

I am hoping to actually try to start my car this week.  If I am
successful, its been 15 years, I will try driving it and maybe, just
maybe, I will consider taking it to Shasta in 10 days.  It is going to
be so nice to finally get back into a roadster after 29 years.

Thank you all.

Tom
69 2000