Re: Grounding Wires

To: "'Roadsters (E-mail)'" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Grounding Wires
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:24:57 -0700
The cable, usually braided on most cars, that runs from the block to the frame
is the negative battery connection to the frame.  In my 69 2000 there is a
moderately heavy wire running from the bolt where the negative battery cable
attaches to the voltage regulator to provide a solid negative battery connection
to the body of the car.

The connection you describe to the coil is not present in my car.  My suspicion
is that somebody added that ground, especially if it is a fairly wide braided
wire, in an effort to reduce ignition noise either in their car radio or a
communications radio receiver.  Someone who is serious about reducing ignition
noise might even go as far as to ground the tailpipe with flat braid 4 or 5
times between the engine and the outlet to prevent the pipe itself from
radiating interference.

Tom