I Left the DAMN Thing Off!! (was: Any tips or tricks for

To: datsunmike <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: I Left the DAMN Thing Off!! (was: Any tips or tricks for
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:00:51 -1000
As Victor Laury termed it, "the inside/lower/aft manifold nut".  I left the
damn thing off, the last time.    I have replaced it at least 20 times.   My
description of replacing those 10 nuts is as follows: 5 are easy, two are
difficult, two are very difficult, and that one is damn near impossible.

When you do finally get it back on, you know that eventually will have to
remove it again.

In addition to the fact that I have increasingly arthritic joints in my fingers
and they aren't as supple as they used to be, I rationalized, using basic
Mechanics (the physics kind), and good application of Permatex Coppercote on
the gasket and flange surfaces.

The bending moment through gravity, naturally places a compressive load at the
lower stud location, in particular, those two lowest ones of the intake
manifold.  That together, with the rather tight fit of the intake manifold over
those lower studs and the Permatex,  convinced me that "no way" would it leak.

Seven months since I finally decided to "cop out" there is no evidence of any
leakage, and I don't think there will be any.

And I won't have to remove that nut the next time!!!

Dave

'68 1600
Kailua-Kona