Re: Over heating question

To: Eric Wittinger <ewittinger@Pixelworks.com>,
Subject: Re: Over heating question
From: ambradley@attbi.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:22:01 +0000
My RL411 did exactly this.  At times exhuast would pass
into the water channels through a leak in the head
gasket.  Once every day or two it would overheat in a
dramatic show of water and air spewing out the
radiator.  One day it came to a grinding halt when the
head gasket failed and filled a cylinder with water.
While running when this happened, the car spewed white
smoke out the tailpipe.  The next day it wouldn't turn
over because all the water wouldn't compress.

You probably have a head gasket leak.  You'll need to
have your head checked and straightened if needed; also
look for corroded water passages, valves, etc., while
the head is off.  Make sure they don't shave the head
too low.  Stock it's 3.248", someone else can give us
the recommended minimum height.  If it gets below that
you need to get creative (recontour the combustion
chambers, etc.) or get another head.

It may be a cracked head or even worse a cracked block,
so make sure to check for cracks in the head while you
have it off.