Bummer and then happiness

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bummer and then happiness
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 19:07:17 -0400
It's beautiful today and again no Roadster - I brought in my original cast
iron head after being told that the 3 aluminum ones I bought or had were
beyond reasonable rehabilitation. I was so happy because I knew this cast
iron head worked as it was on my car for 18 years. I ported it and cleaned
up all the combustion chambers which wasn't fun because cast iron doesn't
cut as nice as aluminum - make that as easily as aluminum.

I was happy knowing all it needed were new hardened valve seats and a few
other mods and some guide liners. Welllllllll, the machinist was examining
it outside and he noticed something in the thermo area. Lo and behold there
was a serious crack near on of the bolt holes and after he told me how much
it would cost to weld up the cast iron I was totally bummed.

I called a Roadster buddy who I've known for many years and he sold me a NEW
head for less than it would have cost to weld the cast iron head. Yippeeee.

A little port and bowl work and voila I'll be running again!!!

I will have helicoils installed however on the rocker studs and thermo
threads.

I can feel it!

Mike