Re: 1500 temp sender question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1500 temp sender question
From: JWHAUN@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 01:12:56 EDT
I have a 64 1500 and finally had to order a sender from Rallye Roadster near
Seattle. I I also tried the NAPA route before and they were able to come up
with the correct sender. It is a little tougher to replace than it looks due
to its configuration. But it can be done, especially if you take the stat
housing off and get something to help push the sender out rather than pulling
it out. It will come apart sometimes. It has a tendency to corrode inside
causing this. If you ground the sender wire momentarily (not too long as it
has a tendency to ruin the gauge) and see if the temp gauge needle then
rises, it probably is the sender. As a rule, the gauges on this car were not
really accurate and they are a little fragile. so be careful.
Good luck
Jim
64 1500

We suspect that the temp sending unit on our 1500 isn't working.  The gauge
will travel down to cold, but won't budge beyond that regardless of the
engine's temp.  We noticed that the sending unit is underneath a hose that
appears to be running from the engine to the manifold.  It seems that this
hose will have to be removed in order to access the sending unit.  Our local
Napa stocks a temp sending unit that is supposed to fit '64-'67... any
experience if these work?  The unit currently in the Roadster appears to be
one of these Napa parts.

Thanks!
Charlotte & Leonard Hoover
'64 SPL310