Re: tune up on a 1600

To: SPL311RDST@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tune up on a 1600
From: Datsun Dude <roadstrdude@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 00:09:14 -0700 (PDT)
 Thanks to everyone that responded to my plea for suggestions..
I will gather all of the parts that I will need and just bring it with me on
the trip..
The car is running ok.. ..it made it to the Run for the Hills up and back..last
weekend..
It just backed fired once for some reason...but after that it was ok..
See everyone in Solvang..
  SPL311RDST@aol.com wrote: Plugs... the consensus is NGK BPR6ES - r is for
resistor, these are the
short reach (equivilant to a 404 in Autolite) Cap/rotor/points/cond is all
basic Datsun single-point stuff, meaning - readily available at your local
parts store.

Get a cap with brass contacts - it'll last ya a lot longer than the alumn.
ones. I like to go to NAPA for the tuneup stuff. Their Echlin line has good
quality parts. If you're on a budget, at least make the points set the best
quality you can get. It's worth the few extra $$. Cheap points have weak
springs/arms that tend to go off center rather quickly and will leave you on
the side of the road. use a dwell meter to set points rather than the gap.
It's much more exact (55* btw)

If the car has been sitting for any length, remember to do the wires as well.
They can appear fine when you start, but if they are old/dried, they will
break up inside when disturbed. Have seen many follks try to return tune-up
parts as "defective" when in reality thier wires went south on them in mid
tune-up. Picture that old table lamp that has been squooshed up pluged in
behind the sofa for 10 yrs - ya can never get the plug bent back just right
to make it work again.

Don't try to get cute and bump up the timing way advanced (especially if this
is a later smog distributor) Car won't be happpy. 10*btdc max ?? Someone
will need to verify on that one.

Make sure a carb balance is part of your tune up. Find someone w/ an air flow
meter and a Colortune if you don't have these. If you're carbs are off, the
rest of the tune up won't really matter.

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
AzROC
Chandler, AZ