Vaporlocking, part 2

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Vaporlocking, part 2
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 13:33:53 -0600

Paul wrote:
>   Teddy, see, I'm not the only one with spare parts!

Well, that's an unneeded part anyway. Just adds weight to the car :)

> > Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about! But don't 1600's tend to run a
> > bit cooler?
>
>   Thanks Dan.  I have always thought that 1600's were cooler!  (:-)

Now wait a minute, that's NOT what I meant! :)

> >   I'll keep y'all posted -- so  Paul and Teddy knows who's buying
> > the hot cakes!
>
>   Thanks.  But I still think it might be the return line or the pump.  How
> does it run at red line?

Very nice, thankyouverymuch :) . It rocks between 2500 and 6500 rpm. I
rarely redline, altho from 6000 up, there's MORE power coming on -- it's
certainly not flattening out! When it's 'vaporlocking', it splutters and
farts at a variety (ie: random) of rpm's until it clears.

> Plenty of fuel?

Sure looks that way... unless I have the floats to low?

> I remember a 307 Chevy V8 (My son's '73 Nova) that appeared to have vapor
> lock.  Turned out it was the wrong fuel pump and the lever didn't make
> full contact with the cam so at low RPMs it didn't pump enough fuel.
> Once the revs got up a bit, everything seemed okay.

  Well, I don't *think* so, altho I don't remember where I got that fuel
pump. But I was also having the same problem before that pump (and carbs,
and valve job, and EI dizzie, and...).

  It's a beautiful 68 degree day out, so dropped the top and took the
scenic route on my lunch break. Got back, left it idling (it's *thinking*
about spluttering, but not there yet) and pulled the return hose at the
firewall (pipe). Wow, NICE fuel flow! It took most of my thumb pressure to
stopper it. Gas is cool too. Go figure!
  Well, next I'll check the return line from the fire wall to the tank,
and make sure it's not plugged there.

  Wondering about the floats though. Could they be some minimal adjustment
too low (ex: 1mm) - such that 90% of the time it's sufficient, but when the
gas starts to boil in the bowls, it leans out the carbs, even though the
rest of the system (pump/lines/return) is flowing nice and cool?

thanks,
dan neff     '69 2000
colorado springs,  co
http://www.wycroc.org