Re: Vaporlocking

To: "Roadster Listgroup" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vaporlocking
From: "Todd Osborn" <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 13:03:03 -0700
Dan,
Are you sure it's vapor lock? You may be fouling the plugs, are you running
N-17 needles in your SU, these run very rich at low rpm, worse at high
altitude.  I too have never experienced vapor lock on my roadster, had a
friends roadster lock up at Tahoe (6200 ft) one time, but it flat wouldn't
run, no sputtering and such. Didn't find the cause, just waited and refired
fine. Mine runs very rough if I have to idle in traffic for more than 10
min., I' running N-17's and probably have the float level too high. Haven't
tuned the SU in in a while since I want to put the Solexes on. You might try
some low speed runs to recreate the problem, then stop immediately and pull
the plugs. If the plugs are black then it's too rich and fouling, if the
plugs are gray or gray white, then it's too lean and it may be vapor lock.
If it's vapor lock I would check the return valve as already pointed out, I
find this valve very funky and I think Tom Walter said you can replace it
with a simple restrictor (~1/4" rod with small hole drilled through it). The
very small but continuous fuel flow should prevent vapor lock. Good luck.
Todd Osborn
San Jose, CA
'68 2L DATSFUN