Re: SR20 engine swap

To: Thomas - Sweden <csp311@telia.com>
Subject: Re: SR20 engine swap
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 09:40:26 -0800 (PST)
Took me a minute to get what you said.  You forgot the :^).

All things being equal, if I raise the compression ratio, do I raise
the amount of power?  I understand there's a point at which premium
(and better) fuel is required.

Conversely, if I lower the CR, do I lower the amount of power?  What is
the equation to determine the amount of power that is produced if
everything remains the same except the CR?  Who has done the
computations to determine power produced by an H20 with dished pistons
vs. an "R20" with U20 internals, including domed pistons?  Or is a live
test on a dyno required?

Or again, is the compressed area of the U20 different from the
compressed area of the R16 so that an "R20" with U20 internals would
have a CR above the 9.5:1 found in the U20?

I'm still waiting for the answer - can I use an H20 crankshaft and U20
domed or flattop pistons without additional machining?  If so do I use
H20 or U20 connecting rods?  Are there flattop H20 pistons?

Many have e-mailed me about R16 head thickness and previous shaving.  I
have a thick head.  So does my car - 3.240".  :^)

Adam

--- Thomas - Sweden <csp311@telia.com> wrote:
> A 280 ZX engine of 2.8 liter had a similar CR and
> it only put out 50 hp/liter. Great for adding a turbo
> but otherwise only for forklifts and low grade fuel.
>
> Thomas

=====
Thanks,

Adam Bradley