Re: OT - 6-speed tranny

To: Leigh Brooks <shifty@shiftco.com>
Subject: Re: OT - 6-speed tranny
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:11:02 -0800
On the 6-speed deal -

The original applications of 5- and 6-speed transmissions (up from 4) have been
for
performance purposes, because a larger selection of closely-spaced gear ratios
allows a
"peaky" engine to stay in its powerband. Closely matching gear ratios to the
powerband of
the engine is important - it doesn't help to have more if they're poorly placed
relative
to the engine's powerband (the folks at Mazda probably didn't have auto-xing in
mind when
they designed the 6-speed box for the Miata). A close-ratio (and more ratios
will
inevitably mean closer ratios) box can also help fuel economy and emissions
performance,
again by allowing the engine to work in the most efficient portion of its
powerband.

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA