Gunson Emission Gas Analyzer

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gunson Emission Gas Analyzer
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:48:56 -0500
Has anyone used one of these things or that Heathkit kit for testing of
needles/jets?

I was thinking of buying one to zero in the correct needle for my car.

FWIW, when my engine lost oil #2 rod bearings were goners and my crank
needed to be cut. The rod was also ruined by the heat generated but thanks
to Mike Faggart I have another set. After examination of my old rod the
shop, for the heck of it, magnafluxed it to see what damage was caused
besides the obvious heat marks, and they found the rod was stress cracked.
I'm having my rods shot peened and ground to relieve all stress points as
well as having everything balanced out. They did the same to the crank and
radiussed it as well.

Q - would lightening my flywheel to about 13 lbs (ala Bob Sharp) have a
noticable difference in acceleration?

I'm pissed at some of my MG club members and I want to make sure they eat my
exhaust gases. I'm tired of some of them criticising the Roadster. It's only
about 2 or 3 guys, one of whom is the chairman, but I want to make sure I am
getting as much as I can, within reason, to make my car haul ass. I've got a
272 degree cam with .460 lift and competition "A" series valve springs to
make sure the valves don't float. I PnPed the head and until I can afford a
Rebello head w/large valves, it'll have to make do.

Thanks for the help.

Mike