'69 SPL311 4-speed transmission problem

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: '69 SPL311 4-speed transmission problem
From: Tunis NB Morrow <tumorrow@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:02:40 -0500
My clutch blew up - all kinds of metal came out when I finally got the
engine out and the transmission off.  I replaced the clutch, clutch plate
and throwout bearing, put everything back together, bled the line, and
got the engine cranking.  Unfortunately, the clutch didn't seem to be
engaging - it looked like the throwout fork was going all the way to the
transmission housing.  So, once again, out comes the engine/transmission!
 It doesn't look like the bearing is tranversing down the spline far
enough to engage the clutch assembly.

Anyone have any ideas beside shooting the car and burying it in my back
yard?