Re: Give me a brake

To: Datsun Roadster <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Give me a brake
From: Marc Sayer <marc@gracieland.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 18:46:09 -0800
I'll add this to Tom's sage advice. It seems many of the brake shoes on the
market now are made a bit oversize (I think they are still made based on
dimensions from back when it was SOP to "arc" the shoes to fit the drum or
something). Even on drums out near their max oversize there have been instances
where the drums just would not go over the shoes even with everything setup
right and the adjusters turned all the way out. On several cars I worked on at
CDM we had to back off a *lot* on the hand brake adjuster, and on several we had
to completely disconnect the handbrake clevis on one side just to get the drums
on. On all of the cars we were able to eventually get the shoes centered
(something else to look out for) and the handbrake connected and adjusted.
Usually in those cases though, the handbrake bellcrank on the axle ended up
positioned a bit "over center" according to Les, which indicated to me that the
shoes were larger than OEM shoes. On several cars the handbrake was adjusted
full loose and the shoes were still dragging a bit. In those cases we either had
the shoes arced if the fit was very bad (hard to find a place that will or can
do that anymore), "tweaked" the arc by hand, or, if it was just a small fit
problem, just took the car out and drove it hard to bed the shoes to the drums
and then did an readjustment. Almost always in these cases, a follow-up brake
adjustment was needed much sooner than one would have expected as if the lining
wear was accelerated or not uniform on the full surface of the lining. If you
looked at the wear pattern on the shoes, it was almost always a case of the arc
of the shoes not matching the arc of the drum, which is why I think they are
making shoes based on the old dimensions when arcing shoes was SOP. But I will
say in some cases the arc of the shoes seemed very close to the drums and the
drums still fit very tightly, almost as if they used a thicker lining than spec.
I think most often this was on comp relined pads, but not always. A quick basic
check of shoe arc is easy, put a shoe in a drum that is ready to go (has been
turned etc.) and see if you can rock the shoe end-to-end, If so the shoe arc is
smaller than the drum, and only the center of the lining will be working to stop
the car until the shoe has bedded in to the drum. If the shoe won't rock
end-to-end, then see if you can fit a feeler gauge between the drum and the shoe
near the center of the shoe while you are holding the shoe tight against the
drum. If you can, then the shoe has a larger arc than the drum and only the ends
of the lining will be working to stop the car...etc.

--
Marc Sayer
82 280ZXT