Re: Charging system / Meter

To: Daryl Smith <darylsmith@telus.net>
Subject: Re: Charging system / Meter
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 06:42:43 -0600
Daryl,

I would recommend the Fluke model 73.
While around $100, it may seem "too expensive"
but for most trouble shooting, it is just fine.

I have a cheap $20 meter. It lied to me once
too often, so is best used to fill a trash can!

In reality the contacts of the multi-position
switch oxide too quickly. Quite often a 12V signal
will show up around 7V. Moving the switch back
and forth a few times will clean the contacts,
and the meter is back to reading 12V.  It has
fooled me into thinking I had found a problem,
only to discover a bad meter.

Spend a little extra and get a Fluke.
Search on eBay for "Fluke 73"  "Fluke 75" or
  "Fluke 75].  The 75 & 77 models are higher
accuracy. Looks like you can find a decent
used meter for around $50.

Cheers,

Tom Walter