Re: OT- I ALMOST DIED TONIGHT!!!!!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OT- I ALMOST DIED TONIGHT!!!!!
From: Daniel E McHatton <hallosb@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 11:55:08 -0700
Heat can do horrible things to brakes.  I once overheated my brakes on my
Chevelle driving in the mountains of New Mexico.  I didn't realize they
had overheated until I tried to come to a complete stop in a camp ground.
 I slowed to about 20 mph, but could not stop. I went barreling through
the camp ground and was headed for a river when the car finally stopped.
Once the brakes cooled down, everything was back to normal.  Now when I'm
driving in a mountainous area, I downshift and let the transmission do
some of the braking.

I would check out the system completely, but it may have been a case of
overheated brakes.  Tom also had some really good ideas that you should
consider to prevent future heating problems.