Email Etiquette <OT, but important to anyone on a list>

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Email Etiquette <OT, but important to anyone on a list>
From: "TIM WALTZ" <printner@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:02:28 -0700
The following is some email list guidelines sent to new users on another
list I'm on.  I think it's good for people to read, especially if they've
never been on another big list.

----

Always bear in mind that many people are going to receive and read the
e-mail that you send to your list. Be considerate. Do not send anything to
the list that you think most people are not interested in or offended by.

Use a clear and specific subject.
A subject on your e-mail's is important. Some people will even trash
e-mail's without a subject. Make sure yours pertains to the text of your
message. If you change the topic, change the subject.

Quote the exact section of text you are replying to.

It is proper to quote a previous letter when replying to it, like this:

>One of the best survival novels I ever read was "Last of the Breed" by
>Louis L'Amour (not a western). It was about a half-Sioux (I believe)
>pilotshot down over Siberia.

Notice the angle brackets ">". These are put in automatically by the e-mail
program. BUT. . many programs do this to the ENTIRE e-mail by default, do
NOT allow that to happen. People do not want to reread an entire letter they
just read. Just quote the exact section of text you are referring, like
shown above.

Do not use all caps.

THIS CAN REALLY GET ANNOYING. In addition, all caps generally looks like you
are yelling.

Use a spell checker

All of the decent e-mail programs come equipped with a spelling checker, use
it.

Do not send messages like, "Take me off this list."

If someone responds to an email, asking for additional information from the
original author, do not send an email to the list saying "I'd like that
too."  These little blurbs add no new information or value to the list.  If
you have the same request as someone else, request it directly to the
source.  Do not clutter the list.

In general, do not send attachments through the list.

Some mail programs, like Netscape, will default to "Send HTML" or "Send
MIME", these are actually attachments and often result in you message being
osted twice to the list. Once as text and once as HTML. This is just an
annoyance to your readers. Turn the HTML setting off. (Sometimes these
messages are just bounced back to you, so you have to turn it off.)

Be mindful of other people's feelings.

It is easy for a reader to mistake your "tone of voice" in an e-mail. If you
are discussing a hot topic, hold the e-mail for a few hours after you've
written it and reread it later. Be careful of areas that could be
misinterpreted.