RE: SR20 -- Intro Michael Spreadbury

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: SR20 -- Intro Michael Spreadbury
From: Michael Spreadbury <MichaelSpreadbury@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:19:26 -0800
Chris, List,

I re-subscribed to the Roadster list this morning after a several year
hiatus, and much to my chagrin, one of the first messages in my in-box was
your interesting comments, and I thought that I would take this opportunity
to introduce myself again, and post my reply.

I am have had an overdeveloped interest in old Datsuns' for nearly
20-years, but most of my experience has been with the 510 sedans and
wagons. I have owned all sorts of 510s from an immaculate 32,000 mile
original two-door, to a 300hp turbo rocket ship, with everything in
between. My current 510 is a RHD, Bluebird SSS Coupe which I imported from
Japan via my business a few years ago.

While I still crazy about 510s, a certain decrepit Datsun 1600 Roadster
caught my eye a few years ago, and I felt compelled to save it. This is the
roadster that I describe in my article in this month's "Turbo Magazine",
which somehow has offended you.

When I purchased my roadster four years ago, it literally was "just a
roadster", there was nothing special about it. The engine smoked, the
exhaust rattled, the gearbox crunched. It was a very tired car looking for
a place to rust away and die. But for all it's faults, it still managed to
charm me, and knowing that with a new heart, this car could happily live again.

At that time, I had way too many cars, and I had to make the tough decision
to sell some of the babies. Somehow, this $500 roach made the cut. I would
find a way to save her, warts and all.

The venerable SR20DE was the answer for me. With this new engine, I got the
EFI, fuel economy, and reliability that this particular car so desperately
needed. So, instead of sending the car to the scrap yard, it lives on with
a new power plant, transforming the ordinary into something very unique
which suits my family's needs, and satisfies my performance desires.

How you got the impression that I am not a huge fan of the roadster from
that article I will never understand-- perhaps you should read it again?

Anyway, I am excited to be here, and am looking forward to sharing my
engine swap experience with any of you who might be interesting in pursuing
the same swap. We will be doing another SR20DE engine swap this weekend,
and will be documenting all the modifications for those who may be
interested in trying something like this in the future. Until then, if you
would like to see some detail shots of my swap, a photo display has been
listed here: http://www.zparts.com/showcase/msSR20swap1/intro.html

Michael Spreadbury
1970 Datsun Bluebird SSS Coupe (SR20DET/6-speed project)
1966 Datsun 1600 Roadster (SR20DE power!)