Re: Aluminium Steering Wheel

To: "griffincom" <griffcom@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: Re: Aluminium Steering Wheel
From: "Nathan Ruffcorn" <nruff@famvid.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 17:16:43 -0600
Gary-
As far as I know the early steering wheels have stainless steel spokes,
which is also non-magnetic.  The center hub looks lot pot-metal.  Contrary
to popular belief, some grades of stainless can corrode and discolor, having
a brown haze looking similar to a very light surface rust.  My steering
wheel was slightly hazed so I sanded it smooth with 600 grit wet/dry paper
and finished cutting and polishing it with a wheel buff.  It looks like
chrome now.
Nathan