Re: Air Pump Whine

To: "steve car" <steve_car@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Air Pump Whine
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:20:44 -0700
It was written:
> I took a quick drive in a 70 1600 with all Smog equipment installed.
> Whenever I shifted I heard a whine for a few seconds. When I asked the
> owner what the noise was he thought it was related to the air pump.

When I had the thermactor injection system ('smog pump') running on
my 1600, the engine would momentarily rev up a bit when the throttle
was released. I attributed this to the proper operation of the burp valve
dumping extra air into the intake manifold upon deceleration.

If you have an actual whine, it's probably the pump itself. Internally it
uses carbon blades that wear quickly and unevenly. As load varies on
the pump, it'll make various noises.

-- John

///
///