Re: How to replace front wheel bearings?

To: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: How to replace front wheel bearings?
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:15:35 -0700
Adam Bradley wrote:

> I want to install new inner & outer front wheel bearings.  What is the
> best tool to remove the races from the hub, and install the new ones?
>
> Also, how do you check driveshaft universal joints?  If they're bad,
> can they be replaced by me, or do I need to take the driveshaft to a
> machine shop?
>
> =====
> Adam
> '70 1600 SPL311-28181
> http://www.picturetrail.com/abend
> http://personals.yahoo.com
>
> ///
> ///

To drive out the old race, take a punch and a hammer
and drive out the old one by tapping it out.
To do the inner one, have the hub inside down, put the
punch through the grease cap hole from the outside.
There will be a lip for the punch to rest on. Then go
around the race and it usually takes several blows to
drive it out.  Then turn it over and do the other side.
Replacing then can be done with either a race driver
tool or you can tap them back in.  Don't mar the bearing
surface, as if I need to tell you.
Check the u-joints by the shake, rattle, and roll method,
Possibly might help to have a little Chuck Berry on for tunes
while you do this.  ;-)  Grab the drive shaft at the u-joint, shake,
it rattle it and then take the car for a roll.  Driving the car let off
the gas and give some gas, is there some clunking.  This could be
tranny or rear end too.
You can replace the u-joints at home with a vice.  Machine shops
do it, too, easily with either a hammer/vice or a press.
Bob
Moscow
67.5

///