Re: Wheels size research

To: bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheels size research
From: "Chris Robertson" <ckrobertson@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:10:11 -0500
Here are the specs I came up with a few years ago.  I think you will find it
useful since the clearances were determined with tires mounted on the
wheels:

The following is Datsun Roadster wheel width info, measured from seven
different aftermarket wheels (yep, I'm a wheel junkie).  All were used on a
stock fendered '69 2000.  This is the clearance as determined with 195/60/14
tires on the wheels:

Max backspace: 112mm or 4.41" (tire will slightly rub rear inner fenderwell
during very hard cornering, clears front A-arms just fine)

Max frontspace: 82.55mm or 3.25" (close, but no rub...may be able to
increase this amount)

Formulas:

Offset = Backspace - (total wheel Width / 2)
-or-
Offset = (total width/2) - Frontspace

Backspace = (total wheel width / 2) + Offset

Frontspace= (total wheel width / 2) - Offset

Hope that helps.
Chris Robertson
Bryan, TX