Bill Wessel 8th at Runoffs!

To: datsunroadsters@onelist.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net,
Subject: Bill Wessel 8th at Runoffs!
From: Orocrodstr@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:53:00 EDT
Hey gang, just a note to let you know how Bill did. 8th! But heres the rest
of the story.

First qualifying session on Weds. 4th fastest of all those that went out in
GP. Pretty good huh! Did I mention it was raining! Fresh tires and no time at
this track in the rain! Even better huh!

Thurs. qualifying: We have big plans including dialing in the alignment to
get the tires sticking better. He went out on fresh tires so we could get
tire temp. to make a judgment with. Bad luck! Motor over revved and a lifter
broke and push rod bent!
We spent Thurs. afternoon changing the motor to one with less power and
hadn't been run in several years. Fortunately Joe Hauser came by and assured
us that it would last the race. That's all we needed!

Friday Raceday! Sunny and bright but not for long! It starts raining about an
hour before the race! Then it stops, then it rains, then it stops etc......
So here's the decision, rain tire or slicks. Will it keep raining or stop and
dry out. A quick check of others around us and they were using intermediates.
We stuck with rains. Bill started dead last because he had no dry qualifying
times and everyone else did. Talk about
nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bill is good in the rain. After two laps he went from 29th to
12th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He was as high as 6th before the track dried and the tires were overheating.
He finished 8th. Not bad for his first time at the Runoffs! One of the
greatest thrills of my career is was to see the look on Col. Joe Hauser's
face when we returned to the pits. It was so nice to do well for him
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that's it for this year. A Roadster does good at the Runoffs!
Wait till next year we plan on doing better.
If you get the chance congratulate Bill he deserves it!
Catch Speedvision coverage on October 12 at 10:00p.m.

BTW: Jeff Winter's 510 won GP, It's a First for the 510s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris & Diane
Team Luers Motorsports
OROC
Sloan Racing