SCCA Runoffs results

Subject: SCCA Runoffs results
From: Christopher Coker <cfcoker@home.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:19:39 -0400
Howdy all,

I just got back from a quick day trip down to Mid-Ohio to watch the GP
National Championship race.  Two roadsters attempted to qualify, Bill Wessel
in the ex-Joe Hauser car, and Bill Howe.  It looks like both had problems in
qualifying (rain?), and I'm guessing that Bill Howe wasn't allowed to
compete due to his lap times.  Bill Wessel was gridded 30th, in last
position, I think.

As the cars pulled off of the grid, two cars weren't able to get rolling
right away, so Wessel moved up two positions before the start.  The track
was wet, and it looked like Bill was on full wet tires.  During the first
two laps of the race, I think Bill was able to move up about 10 positions.
By the 5th or 6th lap of the race, he was battling with a Fiat X1/9 and a
couple of Datsun 510s for 6-8th place!  I believe he finished in about 7th
position.  The race will be tape delayed on Speedvision sometime in October,
if memory serves.  The battle up front was pretty exciting too, but I was
more focused on the Roadster.  Go figure.

I looked all over the paddock before and after the race, but wasn't able to
find Bill to say Hi and congratulate him, but it looked like he was having a
great time on the track.  It was definitely motivational for me, I'm hoping
to be racing National events within the next couple of years.

Happy roadstering,

--
Chris Coker
69 1600 SPL311-24529     <http://members.home.net/cfcoker/roadster.html>