SERI run to Road Atlanta

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: SERI run to Road Atlanta
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@MSFC.NASA.GOV>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 12:50:27 -0500
Hey all great Roadster folks!

SERI had a wonderful trip to Road Atlanta!!!

I got there to find Mike Faggart (NC) in his rendition of the "prime queen",
Brad Holmes and his wife (AL) in their most excellent Solex 68, Tommie and
John in a beautiful white '66 (NC), Mike Harper in another beautiful sona
blue '66,  and Ron Ayres and his wife (FL) in ..well... a Maxima - but a
nice one!  Thomas King (Roadster Mart) followed us (me and Alan) in his
Miata.  My '66 "Rice Rocket" ran perfect for the 5.5 hour trip.  Of course I
was late and had the burger burn stuff with me and the guys looked pretty
famished:)  My little pack-away grill did a good job on the burgers, but
took two hours to get them all cooked - sorry guys.  I think I am fired from
being grill mister:)

The races were great, but sometimes the noise got in the way of good'ol
Roadster talk:)  I must say SEROCers are the greatest!!  After the races we
went and checked in to our motels then off to Applebees for dinner.  Some of
us went to the bar that we met a waitress last year with a boy friend that
had a 67.5 1600 with 2L motor.  Low and behold they were still at the bar
and we had a great time talking - you guessed it - Roadsters!

The next day, we met at the Hampton then to the track.  We had a very
informal meeting and gave out prizes.  Then off to parade laps.  This year
the pace car was much faster so we all got in some fast corners - what a
hoot!!!  After that we went through the pit area and drooled on the nice
race cars.  Even a 510 for sale - me and Ron just about got in a fight over
it, but his wife and the thoughts of my wife with shoot gun in hand brought
us back to reality.  Chris joined us in Pinky - always great to have Chris -
a great guy!

It all came to an end and we said our good byes and headed home.  Alan and
myself are very sun burned with my nose blistering today.  One note - on the
way over and back we shared the road with the bikers (mostly Harley's) that
were on the way to the "Trail of Tears" ride.  They were really showing the
Red, White and Blue!!  We gave each other the thumps up as we supported our
great country!  My wife reported that the trail of bikes was 4 miles long
going through Huntsville.  That would have been a sight!

Thanks guys for coming!!!!!!!!!!!  And sorry Reggie, Brian and others that
could not make it.  Some things are more important.  We are planning the
next run for this year.  We will pick a place to run some corners as the
leafs turn.

Phil
SERI

PS - thanks Brad for the SERI cards!!  We are all now card caring members!
And for the door prizes and custom made Roadster sun shade that Ron won.