Patriotism returns to grace

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Patriotism returns to grace
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:22:04 -0400
List,

I guess that I was one of the first to post an off topic note to the list
after all of the attacks began.  I have tried to keep my commentary to a
minimum since then though.  After hearing a bit on the radio today, I was
taken with emotion, and drafted the note below and sent it to some friends.
The reactions that I have received from this note have lead me to send it to
the list.  It is an open letter to veterans and current servicemen.

If you have tired of the outrage and emotion that has been expressed on the
list relative to the terrorist attacks, please feel free to delete this
message.  If not, please read on.

Thanks,

Sid

As you know, I have always been patriotic, and from childhood my
goal was to become a military officer.  I attained that goal at a
time when military popularity had reached a high point,  and
intended to serve for a career in the uniformed service.  Due
primarily to an injury, I seperated from service, and much to my
dismay I witnessed the change of perception by the general
population towards the military.  The once proud profession was
slowly eroded in the public eye.

The unfortunate events of the recent days has changed a lot of
perceptions.  I am saddened and horrified by the events as we all
are, but am very proud of how the nation is responding.  Patriotism
has once again returned to grace.  This patriotism is not
stratified by generations, but appears to be across all ages.  The
once maligned military profession now has lines of volunteers
waiting to join.  The purse strings which had been drawn tightly
closed on military spending appear to have been loosened again.

I was listening to the Dr. Laura show and heard some
heart-wrenching/heart-warming stories.  One is of a 4.0 gpa high
school student that wants to get his GED so that he can drop out
and join the service.  Another story (the one that touched me to
the point of drafting this note) was from the neighbor of a WW2
veteran. She was visiting this veteran watching in horror as the
events unfolded on the 11th.  This veteran was a volunteer of the
Doolittle raid on Tokyo.  He was the only survivor of his aircraft,
and spent 3 years being tortured in a Japanese POW camp.  As they
watched the horrific events, the soldier turned to his neighbor and
stated, "You find out who did this, and I will volunteer for that
mission as well."  That kind of patriotism touches my heart.  I
hope that it is as infectious to others, as this kind of resolve
will surely see us through this troubling time.

I wish the troops which will undoubtedly be dispatched for the
unsavory deed of retribution the best of fortunes and Godspeed in
their assault.  I wish my former brothers in arms the safe return
from any and all missions that they are sent on, and want them all
to know how honored I am to number them among my friends.  I admire
them for their tenacity and strength of character.  In my heart and
mind, they are already heros, and will only be elevated to another
level as a result of the forthcoming trials.

God bless the US, our military, and the souls of those that have
passed.

Sidney Raper
US Army Field Artillery (Seperated)